Thursday, October 11, 2007

Leaves! leaves! Leaves!




I have been fascinated by these leaves for some time now, I finally got some at the last gem show. Then my mother picked up Alaskan Cottonwood and Aspen while she was in Alaska this summer. I love how each one is different, just look!

The first ones I made for my sister's wedding, it was a Faerie theme, so each bridesmaid had a leaf necklace. Then came the 24k gold Aspen leaf with aventurine and carnelian. Next was a Sterling Silver evergreen leaf with Thai silver and several different semi precious stones, then was the Copper evergreen leaf with some handmade lampwork beads I made in ivory, turquoise and silver, mixed with goldstone and turquiose, lastly a gunmetal oak leaf with picaso marbel and rose quartz. I simply love them.

Unfortunately there are people out there selling "dipped" leaves that are not actually dipped leaves but made using the lost wax technique. While I still believe they are beautiful, some leaves I bough on ebay recently are NOT real dipped leaves. I wish people were more honest. There is no way to really tell when you are looking at the skeleton leaves, but the solid leaves have a void in them from where the real leaf was and you can usually feel it when pressing on both sides of the leaf. If it is completely solid all the way through, you do not have a real dipped leaf, you just have a very pretty cast leaf.

12 comments:

BeadJewelryShopGirl said...

Wow! These are all so gorgeous!

Jenni said...

What a beautiful line of jewelry!
I received a leaf like that for a holiday decoration and they are really cool!! (I like it better on a necklace than a xmas tree...)

TotusMel said...

Those leaves are gorgeous & you've made them look even better in your pieces. You have an excellent eye for detail!

Anonymous said...

Leave me alone! LOL... that's the first thing that came to mind. You are as obsessed with leaves as I am roses and birdies! :) What can I say... it's all gorgeous. xxoo

Jill Q said...

Great looking blog, and the jewelry is to die for . . .

Anonymous said...

I've looked at these before and thought they were beautiful. Thanks for the information on how to spot a fake.

Monica said...

I love leaves! And it doesn't have to be Autumn to enjoy them! Awesome designs!

June said...

Autumn is my favorite time of the year and I love looking at leaves. Your cache of jewelry is just beautiful and the leaf accents take it to another level.

brokenteepee said...

They are just beautiful and so unique. I am sure you will be somewhat unhappy when they, uh, leave you....
Patty

Ignis Designs said...

OK Patty that was horribly punny of you! But is made me laugh. I will be sad when they uh... leave me.

I really am enjoying working with them, I have saved two for me only.

Gibsonwirecreations said...

I LOVE leaves, too! I actually found in my yard a tiny de-formed oak leaf in the shape of a heart! It's doubly special to me because my dad's name was Oakley (meaning of the oaks)-Betty

Russ Nobbs said...

The real leaves are not actually "dipped in gold." They are real leaves, first coated with a conductive copper based paint, then placed in an electroplating bath to plate with the required gold or silver finish. The phrase "real dipped leaves" is a little misleading although a google search for "real dipped leaves" will find a lot of places selling the product you like.

My own place, Rings & Things, sells a group of plated leaves and pine cones at http://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2393
We also have leaf shaped stampings and some cast leaf styles. The cast items do not have the delicacy and light weight of the plated real leaves. It is unfortunate that so many auction sellers mislead buyers.